Which is now the name of these Montessori things? The materials used in the Montessori pedagogy
are called working, teaching or learning material. Various learning contents with different learning
material in the five learning fields (mathematics, language, music, sense, cosmic education) are transferred to the children.
In the sector of mathematics you find some materials:
- numerical poles (exercising the order of numbers, understanding the proportions)
- sandpaper numbers (memorizing the forms of numbers and the writing)
- borad of hundred (working out the field of the hundred numbers)
In the sector of language you find
- sandpaper letters (memorizing the forms of letters and its writing)
- mobile alphabet (setting the first words)
- symbols of part of speech (recognising and learning the different parts of speech)
In the music sector there you may find different materials to memorize the music notes and the
material of bell.
the cosmic education comprises all natural scientific subjects and religious education. Some materials are:
- puzzle of plants (memorizing botanical knowledge)
- world map (memorizing the continents)
- sandpaper globe (learning the proportions continent/water on the planet earth)
The most well-known aspect of the Montessori learning material is the material of senses:
- brown stairs (memorizing the sequences; the forming of order structures helps to understand mathematics)
- pink tower (forming sequences, understanding the dimension of large and small, training to differentation
All these examples might be known to everyone. Each material is based on transfering of knowledge and cognitions without pressure. The children acquire knowledge in handling Montessori materials. So you may understand the meaning of working and teaching material.